Bringing in 2021, this new year is the perfect time to start with fresh new dental habits that can help improve yours, and you family’s dental (and overall) health.
To help usher in 2021, the ADA (American Dental Association) offers seven recommendations for improving your family’s dental health routine:
1) – Brush two times a day for two minutes each time using fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Place the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gums. Gently move the brush back and forth in tooth-wide strokes. Brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of the teeth. To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make up-and-down strokes.
2) – Clean between teeth daily using only interdental cleaners, such as floss or water flossers, to reduce the risk of cavities and gum disease.
3) – Eat a nutritious diet. Sugary foods and snacks lead to tooth decay. Eating foods rich in calcium and phosphorous strengthen & protect tooth enamel. Fruits and vegetables also are good choices for a healthy smile since they have high water and fiber content, which help clean teeth.
4) – Schedule regular dental visits (at Kiefer Family Dental) for prevention and treatment of dental issues and oral disease.
5) – Look for the ADA Seal of Acceptance. Every product carrying the Seal has been evaluated by experts to be safe and effective. To earn the “seal”, companies often are asked to meet higher standards than what’s required by law. Look for specific seal bullets on the back of every seal product package to find out how they can help keep your mouth healthy.
6) – Think twice if you’re considering DIY dental treatments. Fads, like oil pulling, are not effective. Others, such as whitening with charcoal, could even cause damage. Talk with your dentist to learn about the potential risks and benefits of each treatment.
7 – Ditch bad habits that can harm oral health. Nail-biting, clenching your jaw, chewing ice and using your teeth as a stand-in for tools like scissors could all cause serious damage. It’s best to drop these habits.
Once you can make sure that you and your family have these tips down for 2021, making an appointment at Kiefer Family Dental would be the next logical step.
The office of Kiefer Family Dental provides the best in modern dentistry for individuals and families.
Our highly-qualified dentists and gentle hygienists work hard to combine knowledge and skill with the latest in technology to give our patients the best possible dental outcomes. With services ranging from periodontal therapy, oral surgery. dental implants, dentures and even being set up for Invisalign clear braces, Kiefer Family Dental is your Evansville, Indiana A+ dental choice. Call (812) 424-9506 or use the website to book an appointment online.